I remember years ago being very sick from a stomach bug and nothing I took or ate made me feel better. By chance I bought a bottle of alkaline water and it was the most delicious drink I had ever tasted. Soon thereafter, I also started to feel better after drinking that water and I haven't stopped since. So why did I feel better after drinking alkaline water? Here are some points that may answer that question.
Though the scientific research on drinking alkaline water (pH level 8 or higher) is limited, I can personally attest for many of the benefits. Here are some of the potential benefits associated with alkaline water:
1. Hydration: Alkaline water typically has a higher pH level than regular tap water, which some proponents believe makes it more effective at hydrating the body. Most alkaline water sold in stores have a ph level between 8 and 9.5.
2. Antioxidant Properties: Alkaline water may contain minerals like magnesium and calcium, which are believed to have antioxidant properties. Antioxidants help neutralize harmful free radicals in the body, potentially reducing oxidative stress and the risk of chronic diseases.
3. Acid-Base Balance: Proponents suggest that consuming alkaline water can help balance the body's pH levels by reducing acidity. It's important to note that the body's internal pH regulation is complex and tightly controlled, and the impact of dietary changes on overall pH balance is limited.
4. Digestive Health: Some individuals claim that alkaline water can help neutralize excess stomach acid, potentially providing relief from acid reflux or indigestion. This is something that I personally experience as well do the clients that I recommend switch to a higher ph water.
5. Bone Health: Alkaline water may contain minerals like calcium and magnesium that are important for maintaining healthy bones. Some studies suggest that higher mineral intake through water might have a positive impact on bone health, but more research is needed.
6. Physical Performance: Some athletes and fitness enthusiasts believe that alkaline water can improve endurance and overall physical performance due to its potential ability to counteract lactic acid buildup.
7. Detoxification: There are claims that alkaline water can aid in detoxifying the body by flushing out toxins. However, the body's natural detoxification processes mainly involve the liver and kidneys, and there is limited scientific evidence to support the idea that alkaline water significantly enhances these processes.
It's important to approach the potential benefits of alkaline water with a critical mindset. While some individuals may experience positive effects from consuming alkaline water, others might not notice any significant changes. Though one thing to consider is that most of us do not consume enough water throughout the day. The recommended amount is half your body weight in ounces of water. I personally think that alkaline water has a smoother more freshening taste so this helps me drink the recommended daily amount water with more ease.
My alkaline water of choice has always been SMART water; however, in efforts to reduce my use of plastics and expense, I switched to an alkaline water pitcher that converts my regular tap water into alkaline water. I fill my alkaline water pitcher with water filtered water from my refrigerator. Now, a few of my clients do the same thing and love it! I have tested the pH level of the water and indeed has a pH of around 9-9.5. I have included the link to the alkaline filter pitcher I use below. So, if you are someone that does often get things like acid reflux, drinking alkaline water may help.